The African-American Schools of Louisa County
Former African-American Schools
in Louisa County, Virginia

Number C - Trevilians

The county elementary school presently known as "Trevilians" began service as a new black elementary opened in the early 1960s and named Despot Elementory for Alberta Guy Despot, the last Supervisor of Negro Education.  It replaced earlier schools in the area, including the one shown here and described below in 1948:

Location: On Rt. 22 approx. 1 mile west of the intersection with Rt. 33
Number of rooms: 2
Year Constructed: 1930
Year Closed: 1953
Building Still Exists: no

In 1948, it was owned by the county and had an enrollment of 62 students.  There were 135 usable books in its library.

From: A Survey of Negro Education in Louisa County, Paul Everett Behrens, 1949. University of Virginia Special Collections (Master’s Thesis)

C-School-1932

 

Please help us gather more information about the Trevilians school. We are seeking first person narratives, photographs and written accounts about the school. If you have information to share, please contact the
Louisa County Historical Society. Email: info@louisaheritage.org

Introduction  •  Home  •  History  •  Maps  •  Schools  •  Supervisors  •  Resources  •  Support

Funding for this project was provided by The Virginia Foundation for the Humanities and
The Louisa County Historical Society