The African-American Schools of Louisa County
Former African-American Schools
in Louisa County, Virginia


The following descriptions and photographs of the Evergreen school and desks used in the school are from the 1949 work of Paul Everett Behrens. Used with permission.

"Physically speaking, this building is probably one of the worst in the county and poorly equipped.  It is privately owned and rented by the School Board for $2 per month.  

The Evergreen school was probably the most inaccessible school.  During the author's first trip to the county to visit the schools over a three day period, he was unable to visit the school due to high water conditions.  At a later date the school was visited only after walking the last quarter mile or so, it being impossible to drive a car onto the school grounds.  The supervisor (Mrs. Carter) informed the writer that this marshy condidtion unuallly exists for quite some time each fall and spring.  The school was terribly overcrowded, with an enrollment reported for the first month of 1948 as 51.



This picture illustrates the type of desk common in a number of the one-room schools of the county.  They are handmade, uncomfortable and quite marred through long usage.  Seats of this type and long benches constitute the only seats available in several of the smaller schools, including Evergreen where this picture was made."

From: A Survey of Negro Education in Louisa County, Paul Everett Behrens, 1949. University of Virginia Special Collections (Master's Thesis)

The Evergreen School
Location: Approx. 1.5 miles north of Rt. 250 on Evergreen Road (State Route 626)
Number of rooms:1
Year Constructed: Unknown
Year Closed: Unknown
Building Still Exists: No


Please help us gather more information about the Evergreen school.  We are seeking first person narratives, photographs and written accounts about the school.  If you have information to share, please contact the Louisa County Historical Society. Email:

Introduction  •  Home  •  History  •  Maps  •  Schools  •  Supervisors  •  Resources  •  Support

Funding for this project was provided by The Virginia Foundation for the Humanities and
The Louisa County Historical Society