The African-American Schools of Louisa County
Former African-American Schools
in Louisa County, Virginia

Zelda C. Morton Elementary

When A.G. Richardson High School opened in 1953, the old Louisa Training School facility became an elementary school.  It was renamed Zelda C. Morton Elementary, in honor of the woman whose long service in Louisa County as Supervisor of Negro Education began at the Training School complex in 1926. 

A new Z.C. Morton elementary was built in 1960 on the campus of A. G. Richardson, about three miles east of Louisa on Rt. 33.  When the new elementary school opened, it was a two story brick structure with twelve classrooms and supporting facilities. 

Mrs. Marian Duke Perkins served as Principal of the new elementary schol when this 1961 photo was taken. Marian Dukee Perkins

  

 

 

Zelda Carter Morton

Photo of Zelda Carter Morton from the first edition of the Z. C. Morton "Eagle" in 1961 . Courtesy of Carl Perkins

Please help us gather more information about the Z. C. Morton school. We are seeking first person narratives, photographs and written accounts about the school. If you have information to share, please contact the
Louisa County Historical Society. Email: info@louisaheritage.org

Introduction  •  Home  •  History  •  Maps  •  Schools  •  Supervisors  •  Resources  •  Support

Funding for this project was provided by The Virginia Foundation for the Humanities and
The Louisa County Historical Society