The African-American Schools of Louisa County
Former African-American Schools
in Louisa County, Virginia

Spreaded Oak

Spreaded Oak
Location: On Rolling Path Rd about one mile from Walton's Store Road
Number of rooms: 2
Year Constructed: 1927
Year Closed: Unknown
Building Still Exists: Yes, barely

In 1948, this school was owned by the county and had an enrollment of 18 students.  125 usuable books were in the library.  It was closed in 1963 when it was consolidated into the new Shelfar complex.

Data from: A Survey of Negro Education in Louisa County, Paul Everett Behrens, 1949.  University of Virginia Special Collections (Master’s Thesis) Used with Permission



Please help us gather more information about the Spreaded Oak school. We are seeking first person narratives, photographs and written accounts about the school. If you have information to share, please contact the
Louisa County Historical Society. Email: info@louisaheritage.org

Introduction  •  Home  •  History  •  Maps  •  Schools  •  Supervisors  •  Resources  •  Support

Funding for this project was provided by The Virginia Foundation for the Humanities and
The Louisa County Historical Society